re: rear limit straps

Andy re your rear limit strap screws. I managed to get all four of the philips head screws undone recently and I reckon that was the first time they had been unscrewed in 35 years!

The secret is to clean out all the dirt etc from behind the small strengthening section that holds the weld nuts that the screws go into. With the wheel off you can feel these nuts behind the panel. Try and get all of the dirt out from the inside of the nuts. Next pour a loosening penetrant (I used "Penetrene" which is a kerosene based one we have here in Australia) into the well that's formed by the weldnut and the end of the screw. After doing this I left mine for about 2 weeks, whilst i kept on driving the car (not quite sure if you are in a hurry or not).

After this period I then got out the biggest Philips head screw driver I could find (needs to be a snug/ideal fit into the screw head) and then began to unscrew the screws. I had to get a pair of locking pliers onto the screw driver to get enough purchase to turn it, but they came out. On one of them I had to put a jack under the end of the screw driver to stop it coming out of the screw head, but it finally came out. Certainly beats trying to drill them out, which is what I gather a lot of people end up doing.

Good luck!

Warren Reid
Melbourne Australia
68 1750 GTV