'74 Spider RHD Conversion

In #702 we find Paul Bayly (from Down Under) contemplating converting a
LHD '74 US spec Spider to RHD.

*******

Since I'm entering into uncharted territory, my back-up is the knowledge
I'm sure his fellow DU's, who really do know what they're talking about,
will step up to the plate (LHD term).

Paul, you do realize your passenger will be luxuriating in two inches
more side space than you as the driver will enjoy?

Gotta guess the floor pedal route as opposed to the Alfetta booster /
pedal assembly on the firewall. Since the heater bump in the firewall
looks as if mounting the pedal assembly there looks quite iffy. Also
you'd be fighting for room with the (modified) accelerator linkage - not
to mention the heater hose goes in and out in that area.

When you get the steering box from the Berlina, also get the entire
floor pedal assembly, including cutting out the reinforced sheetmetal
from the floor.

Berlina steering assembly. Not a clue if it is shorter, but since you'll
be going to a lot of work anyway, why not remove the steering shaft
assembly from the Alfetta? Have a short solid splined shaft (I love
alliterations) installed on the south end of the Berlina box, then
install. With the driver's seat (was passenger's) adjusted where you're
comfortable, hold your hands where you'd like the steering wheel to be.
Have a friend measure distance to splined stub. Cut or lengthen the
Alfetta shaft to fit. 'Borrow' the steering wheel mounting brackets from
the Alfetta and install in the Spider. Now you have an up and down
adjustable steering assembly and a steering wheel which should 'fall
readily to hand'.

Good luck with the dash, gauges, speedo, and tach cables.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA