'74 Spider RHD Conversion

Hi all,

I'm in Australia and contemplating a LHD '74 US spec Spider purchase.  I have no 105 experience .

While it's not necessary from a legal standpoint, I plan on converting this vehicle to RHD should the sale go through.

Seems there are at least two ways to do the job:

First and easiest is to use the components from another RHD 105 series car (2000 Berlinas are cheap).  This utilises floor hinged pedals.

Second choice is to use 105 RHD steering gear and a modified RHD Alfetta pedal box to give top hinged pedals, single booster, and availability of brake MCs.

As I have an Alfetta wreck in the yard (doesn't everyone ?) and a little engineering ability I will probably go with choice #2.  The Alfetta can also supply a pair of 40mm carbs and headers.  I have sourced a quality reproduction RHD dash.

Questions:
1.   I have it on good authority that a Berlina steering column is shorter than that of a coupe or Spider.  Anyone confirm this ?  I'd prefer a longer column than standard to help with the driving position.

2.   I've also been told that I need to use the RHD column from the donor car but I can't work out why.  Wouldn't I simply swap the LHD column to the RHS, with the rest of the steering components needing to be the mirror image RHD stuff from the donor ?

3.   Does anyone have a preference between the two variations of 105 steering box's.  Is one better ?  Is one easier to repair.  Does one type have better spares availability ?

Thanks in advance

Beatle
Oz