buying a Giulia Spider Normale

In #697 Brian O'Kelley asks the following: :I'm about to buy a '62
normale...
"
Is there anything out of the ordinary about this car that I need to
know? Any reason why it's a good or bad
choice for a restoration?

:Also, can anyone tell me specifics about what parts are/are not
available for the car and it's 1300cc engine?

"Any input is greatly appreciated."

***********

Brian, my personal feeling is if a Normale has been in the family a long
time (sentimental value) by all means restore it.

However, it sounds as if this is not the case. If you are going to
restore it to high a high standard, it will be almost as expensive as
restoring a Veloce. While the Veloce will cost more to start with
(assuming it is roughly in equal condition to the Normale), the
additional initial cost will pale in comparison to the value after the
restoration has been completed.

A three year old price guide gives a '62 to '65 1600 Spider Normale's
value (in good to excellent condition) as $9.5k to $14k. Same car except
a Veloce is $16k to $20k.

Do make sure it is 1600 Giulia as opposed to a 1300 Giulietta. This was
the first year of the Giulia. It could quite easily be a 1300. If it has
a stainless strip running north south on the hood, it's a 1300 (or was
originally). If it has a fake air scoop on the hood, it's a 1600 (again,
or was originally).

The only reason I mention this is not saying one is better than the
other, just make sure you're getting the car you want.

Yes oil filters are available, as are a surprising number of parts for
the car - providing it is absolutely complete. Just an example: Whiskers
(upper piece over the front air scoops) are available as reproductions
but are quite pricey - as are decent used ones.

Straightening / polishing of all the chrome and stainless bits can go as
high as $4k - no difference that I can think of whether it is a Normale
or Veloce.

I'm sure that individuals and / or restoration shops who specialize in
these cars can do a complete rebuild in less time, but it took me two
full years to restore a client's 1300 101 Spider Veloce. It generally
takes me 'around' ten months to a year to rebuild / restore a Series 1
Round-Tail.

There are those who might disagree, but I don't feel a 750 or 101 could
ever, reliably, be used as a daily driver - should that even remotely be
a consideration.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA