RE: Exhaust Mod

"Korolyshyn, Dan Mr. DAC DPW ENGR RESOURCE MGMT BR"<Dan.Korolyshyn@domain.elided> wrote:

>Nils, I would not remove the "restrictor" on the front section
>as I was once told at an Alfa tech session that it is designed
>to produce a certain amount of back pressure for optimum performance
>throughout the RPM band, on the other issue, I have used the ANSA twin
>tip rear section on my Spider but after calculationg the cross sectional
>area of the twin tips, I found them to be less than the cross
>sectional area of the single pipe, so I am not sure how that can be
>of any value for free flow.  I now have the Stainless Steel straight
>pipe from Stebro and it is fantastic with a highly polished end tip
>that sounds absolutely GREAT!
>Ciao,
>Dan K.
>

>Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 20:12:09 -0700
>From: "Nils Huehnergarth" <nils@domain.elided>
>Subject: Exhaust Mod
>
>Hi All:
>
>I'm planning to make a change on the stock exhaust system of my 1974 GTV,
>and I'm interested in opinions about the rear and forward exhaust sections.
>I do not have any need to pass smog inspection. I plan to keep the stock
>headers and install a new Ansa center muffler.
>
>I am considering a straight pipe on the rear section, and having the
>'restrictor' removed from the front section. Is there a compelling reason
>not to remove the 'restrictor' from the front section and replace with
>straight pipe?
>
>Also, I'm debating between and Ansa rear muffler and a straight pipe.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Nils Huehnergarth
>--

I replaced the ancient ANSA rear section on my 74GTV with the STEBRO and I am very happy with it's performance and it sounds great at max speed on Pacific Raceways straight.  There was a number given for the MAGNAFLOW center
  section in a discussion about a year ago, anyone remember the MAGNAFLOW number?  Joe  Faherty
74GTV
NWARC