RE: oil pressure guages

It's certainly there to show important info, but the comments posted so
far state to double-check the dash gauge with a calibrated mechanical
gauge before deciding you need an engine rebuild.  I think that's
reasonable and prudent advice.  Alfa oil pressure senders are notorious
for failing and given bad readings (rather than just failing and
giving an obviously wrong reading like pegged at one end or the other).
Long history has shown that the Alfa oiling system is generally much more
reliable than the gauge and sender used to monitor it, so it's perfectly
reasonable to assume it's the gauge, not the engine, that's at fault.

FWIW, I don't tend to believe fuel level gauges, either.  I've had
three Alfas and two of them had bad fuel level senders (which could not
be replaced with OEM parts, as they were NLA).  I've always backed up
every fuel gauge on every car I've ever owned with the trip odo (if
one is present).  Two gauges have to fail for me to run out of gas,
which hasn't prevented it from happening, anyway, from time to time.

james montebello