RE: RTV on Cylinder Liner O-Rings, or Not...?

I'm on the other side of the fence . . . throw the o-rings away and glue
liners in with silicone.  Clean the liners and block with a good degreaser
like 409, put a small bead of silicone around the bottom of the liners,
insert the liners, and temporarily install the head used a used head
gasket . . . you only need to torque it to 35 lb-ft.  Let sit for 8 hours.

The silicone will fill any pitting in the surfaces of the block and will
last
at least as long as the o-rings.  You won't need any cylinder hold-downs
either.  You can crank the engine over as much as you like.  It's also
easier to measure liner projection above the block.  Don't get me
wrong . . . the o-rings work okay . . . but they're a pain!

I haven't used the o-rings in any of my last 20 engines . . . including
the turbos.

Regards,
Jim Steck