RE: RTV on Cylinder Liner O-Rings, or Not...?

Looks like the consensus is not to use RTV - the timing of this thread is
perfect, I'm days away from starting this job so thanks for the info.

But all the experts refer to perfect cleanliness of the surfaces - easy on my
brand new liners +o-rings, but what is the best way to clean the o-ring area on
the block? I just sent my block to be hot-tanked and haven't seen the result -
but when it left this area was pretty nasty-looking. If it comes back maybe
with some pitting, maybe with some residue there, what is the best way to clean
it? wire wool? chemicals? scrapers (surely not...)

Also, I did notice that the tiny "walls" between adjacent o-rings (ie where two
o-rings are nearly siamesed together) were looking a little pitted, still there
but not 100% - should I be concerned about that?

Thanks,
Richard Lane
San Jose, 1967 GTV.