From: owner-alfa@domain.elided [mailto:owner-alfa@domain.elided] On Behalf Of Jeff
Thraen
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 10:49 PM
To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
Subject: 105 Ignition question

I just bought a new ignition switch for the Berlina, but it is not the same
as the original.  The old one has a pair of wires that come out of the
front, just under the chrome surround.  The pair of black wires travel
inside a black sleeve that is zip tied to the steering column.  One wires
have flat blade connectors, one normal, and the other very narrow.  The
normal one is attached to wire which I believe goes to ground.  The other
wire is not connect, rather it is just doubled back into the black sleeve.

My first question is, can I use the new switch without the wires?

My second question relates to removal of the old one.  There is a threaded
fastener that does not appear to have any type of head, no slot, not
Phillips, not Allen, not hex.  How the help do you get it out?  Please do
not tell me that you have to pull the whole steering column unless you have
time to come over and help.

Thanks in advance

Jeff Thraen