Re: original Italian Job movie

Andrew Watry said...
>>I rented the original "Italian Job" with Michael Caine this weekend, and
cannot stress enough what a great movie it is for spotting classic cars,
particularly 60s Italian sedans.

 - Nice to hear this movie receiving some recognition...its reputation wasn't
helped by the producer of the 2003 "remake" saying bad things about the
original in the press.

The Italian Job barely has a moment without an interesting car in view, usually
italian. I've read that the exotic cars that were apparently destroyed were
really just mock-ups built by the SFX guys..but I have to say that the Aston
Martin Drop-top looks very real as the Mafia make their point with it. The
Miura crash is definitely staged though. I can never see a Giulia TI now
without thinking "Carabinieri" to myself because of this movie. I've never seen
a black Fiat Dino Coupe except here. The drive around the roof of the Fiat
Lingotto factory in Turin is a classic.

Definitely a comedy, Noel Coward is great in it - it's actually pretty surreal
in parts. Also, with the way it ends, it cries out for a sequel; a pity then
that we ended up with the flashy 2003 remake with bigger bangs but much less
fun and (gasp) german cars.

-Richard