RE: DASH CAPS

> what's the verdict on dash caps? i've got a 1974 GTV. i've read that
the
> caps get in the way of the air vents unless you do some filing, in
which
> case you end up with what looks like a patch-up job. i want a
> professional-looking finish without the $800 (!) cost of a
replacement. (i
> know, i know, don't we all.) any other alternatives out there? is
there a
> secret to installing the cap so that it looks like a jewel?

I put a dash cap on the dash of my '71 GTV (I think it's a more
complicated installation than the '74).  It won't win a concours, but I
believe it looks better than a 'stock' dash cap installation, and
certainly better than a cracked dash.

I did a couple of things that I think made a big difference.  First,
don't get lazy and install it with the dash in the car.  Remove the
dash..

Second, I put the dash cap in place, then cut the original material
along the edge.  I then removed the dash cap, and stripped the original
dash material off, except where the new dash cap would not cover it.
Then I glued the dash cap to the underlying foam, so there is a pretty
clean mating line of old material with new.

I did have to trim around the vents a little bit, but I believe it was
minimized by removing the original dash material from around the vents.

HTH,

bs