Re: 4R ZAGATO

I have a Zagato bodied car, and a friend of mine has a different Zagato.
Although both are relatively low volume, they were produced over a 6-7 year
period, in small numbers each year.  Nevertheless Zagato produced 2 versions
of each, the original for a few years, then a slightly modified style from
then on.  It appears they did the same thing with the Alfa 4R.

At first it's hard to figure why they bothered to make the changes.  However
investigation reveals that Zagato was faced with a loss of supply of readily
available components (tail lites, gas tanks, door handles, etc.) since they
came from the parts bins of the manufacturer who sponsered the car.  Several
were made with some Series 1 parts + some Series 2 parts - - sort of a
"Series 1-1/2".  I imagine they simply used up whatever parts they had on
hand.

It would be interesting to know what all was changed on the 4R (beyond what
one can discern from the photographs).  With some Zagato series there were
hardly two cars exactly alike!

I for one would like to own a 4R, despite it's obvious shortcomings.  Zagato
cars sort of grow on you.  Someone once said "never be without at least one
Zagato".

Mr. Goose