From: "Otto Schug" <schugof@domain.elided>
To: <alfa@domain.elided>
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 12:39 AM
Subject: 85 GTV-6 Shift Linkage

> Alfisti,
>
> I have a 1985 Alfa GTV-6 2.5L car.  Last year I loaned the car to a friend
who burnt the clutch plate to the point I had to flatbed the car home.

> Last week, I put in a new clutch plate and throw-out bearing and shimmed
the rear "donut".  The drive shaft and clutch are fine, after learning to
put the clutch yoke in at a 10 AM-4PM angle to lock the yoke with the
fulcrum, slave cylinder rod and throw-out bearing.  I reconnected the shift
linkage at the clutch cover.

> However, shifting into first, and more particularly into second, is a
difficult task.  I have to force the shift lever hard to the left and stay
hard to the left to go into second.  If not, the car will start in third
gear or I will move from first gear to fourth gear.  I did not remove the
long shift rod under the car from the shifter in the cab of the car; just
reconnected it to the shift linkage.  I have another shift linkage available
from a Milano parts car, same shift linkage device.

> Please advise as to the error I committed and how to correct same.  There
was no shifting problems when I loaned the car or when I attempted to drive
the car home, feathering the clutch, before I flatbedded the car the
remaining distance.  I did replace the roll pins with metric bolts and made
sure there was tight fit and no bellhousing or clutch cover interference.