Dead Milano diagnosis

Greetings all,

I recently met someone who has an 88 Milano Verde they may want to sell
(and I may want to buy  :)

The car is not currently motive and before I go to see it, I9d like to arm
myself with some ideas on what may be wrong.

Apparently when it last ran, the owner was cruising at highway speed and the
engine stopped. I do not know if the stoppage was accompanied by any
traumatic sounds or luches. There is still power to the engine . The owner
says  he was able to back the car up about 20 feet by using the starter
motor?? The engine will still turn with a wrench, but either will not run,
or maybe the owner is afraid to run it lest something is irreversibly
damaged.

He says that 3something has sheared2 in the driveline and speculates that
either the crank has broken, or something has sheared at the flywheel. I
wonder if perhaps the engine has jumped timing.

Not much to go on yet, but I wonder if I could get some ideas as to how to
diagnose what is wrong when I do get a look at it.

Yours, vaguely,
--
James Cook
'71 GTV