Re: alfa-digest V9 #664 - Radiator plug saga

In a message dated 7/24/2003 11:33:56 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 17:09:02 -0500
> From: "Jason Hagen" <hagen_jason1@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re: Radiator plug saga
>
> Have the plug permanently soldered or welded into place and never remove it
> (or any other plug in a radiator) again.  Seriously!
>
> These aren't made to really come out.  They are there just to fool people
> and to drive additional pain and suffering (and radiator sales).  Always
> pull the hose if the car is more than 2 years old... no matter what.
>
> - -Jason Hagen
>
> '95 164Q
> '73 Spider

       Not make to come out?  Then why are they not soldered or glued in
place.  I have used the plug in the bottom of the radiator to drain the system for
years with no problems.  Again, remember to tighten the plug with your
fingers first.  I have NEVER cross threaded a fitting with my fingers.
       As to repairing one, the radiator is not that hard to remove.  Then
take it to a radiator shop and have them solder on a new drain plug.  Or have
them solder the old one in place and go through the pain of pulling a radiator
hose to drain the system.
       By the way, anti seize inside the radiator hose will make later
removal much easier.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City