Upper A-arm ball joint problem

It sounds like you got the nut started crooked. I always start nuts and turn them as far as possible by hand. Do not use a wrench until the nut is almost tight - or in the case of locking nuts, until it hits the locking mechanism. A castellated nut should tighten all the way by hand.
Or the threads could have been crap from the factory. Again, turning the nut down by hand should have disclosed that fact.
Put upward pressure on the top of the ball joint such that the spindle will put pressure on the nut as you attempt to back it out. Try to save the nut and such as the seller will surely want that back to exchange the parts.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

The one in question did tighten all the way up by hand. I think I have an idea what happened.

You and Nick at Centerline suggested the use of separation force to get the nut to reengage threads.. I used the pickle fork and didn't have to get the Dremel out.. ;-)

I have to say, Nick at Centerline was very helpful, and immidiately offered a replacement along with picking up the shipping charges. I'll be sending the bad one back so they can evaluate. Meanwhile, I have looked it over tonight and here's what I've seen so far.

The one that failed seems to stick out a little farther in the steering knuckle than the replaced one, which results in the nut starting to leave the threaded part of the shaft. Also, the new one has a much larger cotter pin hole in the shaft, which means less thread surface left when you're on that section.

I think there were about 3 threads left when the end of the nut started to leave the threaded part of the shaft, which lowered the remaining thread contact area, and put all the force on probably 1/3 less threads due to the cotter hole section, AND leaving mostly the castle part of the nut bearing most of the load. (also less effective thread area!)
The nut was completly stripped out in the castle section, carved up the remaining section, and might have bottomed out on the shaft itself (would be really good for stripping) but I have conflicting evidence on that.

I also might have gotten a tiny amount of the anti-seize I used on the threads, not conclusive though.
It definately looks like the left's shaft end sticks out a bit more than the right, and a lot more than the original one, and that's probably most of the fault. Nick suggested that this might be the case due to wear or whatever.. if that's the case he mentioned using a washer (suitably tough grade) to shim up the nut to a more centered part of the shaft.

When the replacement arrives I'll be looking most carefully at fit, and possibly be washer shopping..
I'll also report what Nick has to say after he looks it over. He says that at Centerline they haven't been having problems with the FRAP adjustable A arms.

Oh, and tomorrow I'll be taking my torque wrenches to work where a co worker who has a couple of recently calibrated ones will bring hers and we'll do some comparison testing..
Jon (hopefully no longer torqued off in Irvine) (and got the wheel bearing repacking done, the oil pump reassembled and test mounted it and the front cover on the engine, too!)
77 Spider