Re: alfa-digest V9 #648

Hey Guys,

I have a '91 164L with an odd electrical problem (and who doesn't?). The
electrics have always been spotty, and right after a clutch replacement, the
radio and AC system stopped working. The "S" fuse for the left-tail and right-
front lights blows whenever the lights are turned on, and the "AS" fuse for the
Direct Current Unit (what the hell is this one?) blows no matter what (there is
always about 12V on the post).

Now, here's where it gets silly: I bought a lame-o short-circuit detector
expecting that it would be a solid-state device that'd pulse a low-voltage /
low-amp current down the problem wire. I figured it'd be designed to be safe,
but alas, this piece of junk is simply an unregulated-current, straight-through
wire interrupted only by a bi-metallic flap that will break the circuit only
after it (and who knows what else) heats-up enough. So, it allows dangerous
currents down a wire that had a fuse blow for some good reason.

Alright, I babble ... I felt confident enough to try out this piece of crap on
the lamp circuit since I knew (or hope) that there's no fancy electronics down-
wire. After plugging the device in, and switching on the lights, not only did
the lights come on, but the AC's blower-motor came on over the same circuit.
This surprised me, since the blower never worked, even though the lights worked
fine. The AC indicators on the dash did NOT illuminate though. Thinking that
this must be the over-load on the lamp-circuit, I disconnected the blower-
motor, put in a fresh fuse, and tried again...only to have it blow.

Now, does anyone know how the blower-motor might get energized via the lamp
circuit? Does the fact that my radio/fog-lamp switch/trunk lid
opener/electronic locking system/temperature control/etc... cluster isn't
working have a connection to this mysterious "AS" fuse? What does it service?
Why does everything else operate fine? What the hell is that wiring-harness
thing with the cylindrical coupler right next to the 40-amp engine-fan fuse?
Anyone know which pins go where? Shouldn't there be no grounds in that thing?

Still love my Alfa, though the inability to redirect the engine-heat wafting
through the inoperable environmental-control unit is really turning off the
chicks! ;)

-Fitz