Re: where to buy spider cool thermostats

> Matt, I agree with the spider cooling system being
> over-eningeered. When all
> is right, it works *very* well, even in SoCal heat
> (which is similar to Sud
> Italy heat, isn't it?).

Yep, the temperatures are probably similar to Southern
Italy and parts of Greece.  All of which Alfa's were
sold. But I heard somewhere that something like 80%
of all the Spiders were exported to the US. Dunno'
if there's any truth in that though....

> Tell us a little more about the car, does an 88
> spider have an electric
> cooling fan? Does it cycle on and off when it should
> as the temp gets warm?

It has 2 fans. The main one is mechanical running on
the belt then a 2nd smaller electric one sitting
on the air conditioning cooler. This only comes
on if the engine bay rises above a certain
temperature.
It actually works too.

> Can you describe what was done to the radiator to
> clean it? Was it done by
> someone reputable? I have seen (and experienced) a
> cleaning that only involved a
> quick dip in a tank and an application of black
> paint. That wasn't what was
> requested nor was it what was necessary. It took a
> couple of chats with the
> business owner to get it done properly.

It was done through an Alfa mechanic here. I didn't
realise it was blocked. He tested it when he did the
head gasket and found only a trickle coming through.
So he got it rodded and cleaned by a radiator shop.
I assume he tested it.
It was also missing the fan shroud which was replaced.
The oil etc was all changed recently too. There was
mayo in it which was why I replaced the head gasket.
When the head was removed a cheap pep-boys gasket
was found in there. The head was machined flat and
a new factory head gasket went in.

To be honest it could just be a dodgy thermostat. I
did replace it during the winter as the car never
seemed to heat up properly but was okay in the summer.
Now I have the opposite concern :-/
It seems to go to about 200-205 which it's never done
before. Also the alfa mechanic recommended getting
the cooler thermostat.
Maybe I'm worrying needlessly ??

Cheers

Matt