Engine startup and break in (long)

Tom, first, Congratulations on getting Her running! However, I disagree
with a few of your break-in plans.

I've never heard of any great concerns over cam break-in periods. I
heavily coat all moving parts, except piston rings / piston / cylinder
walls, with STP when rebuilding. I add oil to the upper 'reservoirs in
the head before installing the cam cover. True, if one has a warped
head, then yes, there will be cam bearing problems which will be only a
part of a very major problem.

I idle no longer than necessary to make enough adjustments so that it'll
run at least 'okay'. I make a short run and come back to check for
leaks. Fix any. Take a small assortment of tools and fire extinguisher,
then go for a few mile run and return (hopefully).

I Never Ever lug the engine, but concentrate on slowly bringing up the
revs, then backing off the throttle completely. I personally feel a
steep hill is a bit much for a fresh engine - although I'm aware engine
builders have been using them for years (where available).

After twenty or thirty fairly careful miles, I briefly bring the revs up
to 5,000 or so and again back off. My feeling if the engine is built
correctly, everything is going to bed in pretty quickly - even the
rings, if installed dry.

I go 250 miles or so before changing oil. I don't cut the oil filter
open but do sift through the oil with my fingers after it has settled so
that any shavings fall to the bottom. I rarely find any shavings. What I
do find when opening up engines rebuilt by other mechanics is often a
lot of silicone strings clinging to the oil pump inlet.

Best of luck,

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA