Re: Engine startup and break in (long)

In a message dated 7/13/03 6:15:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Jeff writes:

> So, how does one break in new cams without idling the engine excessivlely so
>  that the rings/sleeves don't get glazed and the rings seat properly?
>
>  Experience proves that idling a fresh engine is not a good thing, or is the
>  'fast idle' considered ok?

Well, I can only pass on my experience. I had the bottom end of the engine
rebuilt by a local speed shop. While not Alfa people specifically, they do have
lots of experience with both iron and aluminum and have a very good reputation
amongst the racing set.

I had the head rebuilt by Steve Hanniford in Tacoma, who is familiar with
Alfas as well as lots of other exotic aluminum. The man knows flow.

I spent a lot of time talking with both shops and checking recommendations
from one against the other. I never had contradictory recommendations from
either. I passed them all the data provided by this and other Alfa forums. They
listened and discussed in a very professional manner. I felt completely at ease
with their opinions and approaches.

Steve recommended the 'fast idle' routine for the cams (20 minutes at
1500-2000 rpm) and advised it was critical for proper break in. I ran this procedure
by the engine guru and asked how that would affect the bottom end. He said it
was fine and would
actually give me a chance to change the oil right away before putting the car
out on the road (to remove the left over grit).

Once on the road, I will head for a long, steep hill and almost lug the
engine up the length of the hill to seat the rings. Per the owner's manual, I will
keep the revs below 3500 for the first 300 miles and below 4500 for miles
301-1000.

At mile 500, I will change the oil/filter again and re-torque the head nuts
(one at a time - removed, oiled, reinstalled, and torqued).

At mile 1000, I will change the oil/filter a third time and begin a normal
oil change interval (3000 miles using Castrol 20w50). And the frequent Italian
tune-up. :-)

Once per year, I will retorque the head nuts.

After mile 5000, I can (if I wish) use synthetic oil as the engine should be
completely broken in. I had recent technology seals installed, so they should
be compatible with synthetic oil. Anyone use the Royal Purple stuff? Any
opinions?

That's what I plan to follow. Life is a series of compromises, so putting the
engine at 2000 rpm for 20 minutes to season the cams may affect the rings
seating, but apparently it is less worrisome than not seasoning the cams.

So, I did run the engine for 20 minutes at 1500-200 rpm and have retorqued
the head nuts and changed the oil/filter already. The driveshaft is almost back
in and the new exhaust is next in line (don't use the ceramic coated exhaust
to season cams, it gets too hot). With some luck, I will be able to take the
car out on the road in the next couple of days. It will be the first time in a
year.

I can't wait.

Tom
Seattle