where to buy spider cool thermostats

Hi all

My 1988 Spider has been feeling the heat a little out here in Southern
California where the summer temperatures are up in the 100degF territory
again.
I've just had the whole cooling system serviced with the radiator cleaned
and a new head gasket put in since the mayonnaise was appearing in the oil.
Stays around 185 but climbs up a bit on the really hot days.
The Alfa mechanic I know here recommended I should put in a low temperature
thermostat.
I've tried a few places but I haven't found anyone who sells one for this
Spider.
Does anyone out there know where I can get one ??
I've seen a few articles which talk about drilling the diaphragm. Does this
work
 well ?? Does anyone have experience of doing this on a road going car ?

Cheers

Matt