Kit Car or ???

This question is sorta directed to Eric, but anyone else with some input is
welcome to contribute.  My next (proposed) significant project is the
blending together of a Merkur XR4Ti and a Subaru Brat (sorry, no real Alfa
content here, but thought y'all might be interested any way).  You can take
a look at the Photoshop generated version of this creation here:
 http://www.merkurclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21

The drive-line and pan will all be from the Merkur, so I'm thinking I
could/should just register it as a Merkur and nobody would question it too
much.  Hell, most people don't know what a Merkur is in the first place.
But would there be any advantage to registering it as a "kit car"?  Is my
state (NY) DMV the best place to pose these types of questions, or are there
any federal/DOT considerations to keep in mind?

Thanks,

Brad