Re: Autodelta dealings

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 08:28:08 EDT GModelle@domain.elided wrote:
> There may be more to this story than the persecution of a particular
> ersatz
> Alfa importer. In my circle of Alfisti, and former dealers, I was made
> aware of
> a sizable cash deposit on these grey-market cars that resulted in the
> loss of
> deposit when promised delivery did not materialize. I do not know the
> details
> of the failed transaction, but there were very hard feelings about it,
> economic loss and disappointment for potential owners.

i think this is a good stopping point for this discussion for now. there is
an enormous amount of information that the readership of the digest does
not have, and isn't likely to get unless it comes out in court. moreover,
most of the digest's lawyers will probably keep their mouths shut, and the
rest of us don't know nearly enough about US law on this.

the Autodelta folks are in the most trouble, from my point of view, because
they sold cars which they claimed passed US regulations to customers. to
the extent that the cars did not apparently conform to said regs, they
misled those customers. given that the US has chosen to enforce the law,
said customers are now out both the car and the money.

maybe the autodelta folks honestly didn't understand the law. maybe they
got bad legal advice. maybe they did it with full knowledge of the risks.
i don't think anyone on this digest can speak authoratively to the issue.
let's defer further discussion until there's something new to report.

richard