Autodelta/Giordano background

I met Carlo and Alex Giordano about seven years ago when I was president of
our local Alfa club. They were living in Nashville at the time (I believe
Alex was in college here), and I began to hear rumors about their having a
new GTV. Through a mutual acquaintance, I arranged an introduction and
wangled an invitation to see and photograph the car. Sure enough, they had a
brand-new GTV in their garage. It wore New York plates and reportedly had
been driven to Nashville from New York. I shot a roll of pictures while I
oohed and aahed extensively, all the while trying not to drool on the
paintwork. Although I tried to get them to bring the car to our next major
club gathering, I never saw it again.

While I was there, I asked Carlo about the importation process. It wasn't
clear whether they'd brought this car in for their own use or for resale.
Carlo was quite cryptic about what he had done to get the car into the
States, saying only that the main problem was with the information Alfa
would or would not supply to the Federal government.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. An attorney friend who's also an
Alfista and former Paul Spruell customer is in Nashville court for a
hearing. In the courtroom, he spots Paul Spruell! Paul, it turns out, is in
Nashville for a preliminary hearing about a lawsuit he'd filed against the
Giordanos and Autodelta. I don't know any details, but from what I gather
Paul had made a major commitment to sell Autodelta-supplied cars and had
been left holding a very large, very empty bag.

From my limited business dealings with Carlo, I was left with the impression
that one couldn't completely trust what he said. Seven years ago he led me
to believe that they were ready to start importing cars right then.
Apparently, there were a few kinks left in the process!

Bob McKeown
Nashville, TN