Autodelta, and the laws

Ah, modern emission laws... Keeps me employed.
Some notes-
1) since '95, both Federal and Green State (California, New York...) standards have changed quite a bit, somewhat lowering the emissions, while increasing the overall mileage covered. What has changed a lot has been OBDII, which is the diagnostic tool in modern cars that could make the trip to the emissions test site redundant. Euro IV and E-OBD are not even close to the current state of the art for the US, I deal with this every day at work, and am quite sure about this. There are some loops that can help the small volume OEM's, but no blanket exemptions. All 50 Ferrari Enzo's that enter the US are fully certified. Knowing the loops in the EU laws, my real guess is that every single Enzo is California certified, which is accepted across all EU states for low volumes.

2) while I can't comment on the perceived issue with crime, not meeting this law is not a victimless crime- over 5 million cars are sold every year in the US that DO meet ALL the laws laid down. Once a group is allowed to violate it, then it penalizes all that do meet the law. Which is why one sees rather large fines given to those who fail, even unintentionally (Ford, GM...). As an OEM, they have a corporate responsibility to properly certify everything to sell the cars, remember when Calloway got busted with the Vettes they sold?

3) Kit cars do need to meet the emissions laws based on the date of manufacture of the engine in most states. Rarely enforced. Interesting note- if you are not an OEM or aftermarket supplier, the US EPA does not actually have authority, the state does. So kits, personal modifications, whatever, are between you and your state.

I don't feel sorry for these guys at all. They cheated, got caught, and now have to pay the price. I can tell you, what they will pay is a drop in the bucket to what us and GM have paid. Clean air is a priority in this country, thankfully.

Eric Storhok
Ann Arbor, MI

AROC Detroit Homepage: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~alfa/index.htm