Bypassing the A/C Compressor was Spider's Tweety Bird Resolved

Yes it can, I did this on my 91 Spider the first time the a/c clutch went out.
I drove it for about a month this way. You will be surprised at how much more
power you have without turning the a/c pulley. I still have the belt. Don't
put the belt around the idler pulley, just around the lower pulley and the
power steering pump pulley.

I measured the length by taking a cloth tape measure and putting it around the
pulleys. Mine happen to be metric on one side and inches on the other. If you
don't have a cloth tape measure use a piece of string, put it around the
pulleys, mark it and then measure it. Be sure to leave it long enough to go
around the pulleys, but short enough so you can adjust it tight.

"I had questioned if I could replace the serp belt and bypass the A/C
compressor but from my view it seems that the idler pulley is designed to
take the belt from one direction only. Hence to re-reroute the belt around
the crank pulley, over the idler and p-steering pump would require replacing
the idler with a different style. Also it appears that a different lower
radiator hose would be required to make room for the belt. I have never used
the A/C and I do not want to remove it but the thought of bypassing the
pulley is of interest."

Cordova Ralph
1991 Spider Veloce W/Automatic Transmission 200,000+ (S)miles and a few
frowns
1964 Giulia 1600 Spider