Cutting Milano Rear Springs

I'd like to lower my '87 Platinum about 1" so the car
sits flat under typical driver + one passenger load.
Since I'm not looking for a significantly increased
spring rate, I thought I'd just cut down a pair of
spare springs I have hanging around.

Under load, I measured about 2-1/8" between the
centers of adjacent coil turns. Looks like I'll need
to remove just 1/2 a turn to give the 1" drop I seek.
I also noticed that the upper and lower cups holding
the springs have a specific shape to accommodate the
incline of the spring at the top, and a locating notch
at the bottom that nests in where the last turn ends.

Does anybody have experience cutting the Milano
springs?  Can one take just 1/2 turn off and
reposition the upper and/or lower holding cups so that
the spring seats properly? Is cutting 1/2 turn the
right amount to bring the rear down 1" overall?

Thanks,

DENNIS
SAN DIEGO
http://mail.yahoo.com