RE: Damn, where's Fred when you need him?

> Of course I'd have to hear what an a idiot I am (especially when it
> comes to electrical, though I'd have no argument), then he might (or
> might not ) have answered my question.

Yeah I miss Fred too...

> First, might be false alarm, but somewhat doubt it.
>
> Car won't start. Nada. Must admit the old girl ('75 Alfetta
> GT) has been
> awfully reliable - something certainly was due.
>
> Factory air so has battery in the rear. While I did get 12V off my
> analog multi-tester, the battery is a bit long in the tooth.
> So switched
> out with a smaller spare battery. Did get a solenoid click. Tapped
> solenoid several times. Again, nada.
>
> I currently have the battery charger on the battery. If magic happens,
> erasey, erasey this email.

If you're battery is suspect, get a nice new one and try that.  You can
always return it if it's not the problem, but you probably need it
anyway right?

> Actually, even if it does, I'd like a few answers to some burning
> starter questions: What really is the best way to start
> trouble shooting
> a non functioning starter - meaning it won't even go errrr, err, er? I
> also checked the heavy red wire to the alternator - 12V.
> Figured if the
> juice got that far, it certainly had it at the starter.

If you get a click at the solenoid but no turny, turny try whacking the
starter a few times with the proverbial BFH.  Maybe it's stuck.  Worked
when starting my 75 'fetta GT the first time after a long hibernation.

> (One might note I'm not terribly big on theories, just basic do's and
> don'ts).

Are all the ground cables there, including the big one from the engine
to the chassis?  With the ignition on you'll get 12V, but there's
nothing to return all that current when you hit the starter, so there's
not enough juice to turn the starter.  This will usually eventually
manifest itself in a fried throttle cable.

> I had a similar situation with the car after first buying it in '78 -
> but only after it had been run for awhile and generally on
> hot days. In
> '85 a fellow installed a small Bosch relay and except the
> ends of three
> starters breaking off, have never had starter problems since.
>
> For this post, let's put the ends breaking off to the side.
>
> I finally found a used starter, the smaller (1 005 822) as opposed to
> the big 'un (1 005  823) which the car liked  - especially
> the flywheel
> ring gear.
>
> How does one test a sealed relay or is it like a condenser - can be
> tested, but easier to just replace?

If the solenoid clicks, doesn't that mean the relay is good?

> Can one test a solenoid  while still installed? Can one test
> a solenoid
> off the car? I have a spare 822 starter and assume it's okay but would
> like to know for sure. (The starter has a welded up end on it so don't
> want to use the complete unit).

Ideally you want to watch the solenoid move.  It might click but be
jammed.  If it's attached to the starter you'll see the gear jump out as
if engaging the ring gear.

> Is it safe to assume since I'm getting clicking from the solenoid, the
> ignition switch is okay? I have a spare ignition switch, but
> no key for
> it.

Probably...

> Since this is my (only) daily driver, any quick (but well thought out)
> answers would be appreciated.

Does that help any?  Need a spare 75 GT cheap?  Low miles... 62k or so,
and it starts. :-)

Good luck!
Ian Lomax
Norcal