Damn, where's Fred when you need him?

Of course I'd have to hear what an a idiot I am (especially when it
comes to electrical, though I'd have no argument), then he might (or
might not ) have answered my question.

First, might be false alarm, but somewhat doubt it.

Car won't start. Nada. Must admit the old girl ('75 Alfetta GT) has been
awfully reliable - something certainly was due.

Factory air so has battery in the rear. While I did get 12V off my
analog multi-tester, the battery is a bit long in the tooth. So switched
out with a smaller spare battery. Did get a solenoid click. Tapped
solenoid several times. Again, nada.

I currently have the battery charger on the battery. If magic happens,
erasey, erasey this email.

Actually, even if it does, I'd like a few answers to some burning
starter questions: What really is the best way to start trouble shooting
a non functioning starter - meaning it won't even go errrr, err, er? I
also checked the heavy red wire to the alternator - 12V. Figured if the
juice got that far, it certainly had it at the starter.

(One might note I'm not terribly big on theories, just basic do's and
don'ts).

I had a similar situation with the car after first buying it in '78 -
but only after it had been run for awhile and generally on hot days. In
'85 a fellow installed a small Bosch relay and except the ends of three
starters breaking off, have never had starter problems since.

For this post, let's put the ends breaking off to the side.

I finally found a used starter, the smaller (1 005 822) as opposed to
the big 'un (1 005  823) which the car liked  - especially the flywheel
ring gear.

How does one test a sealed relay or is it like a condenser - can be
tested, but easier to just replace?

Can one test a solenoid  while still installed? Can one test a solenoid
off the car? I have a spare 822 starter and assume it's okay but would
like to know for sure. (The starter has a welded up end on it so don't
want to use the complete unit).

Is it safe to assume since I'm getting clicking from the solenoid, the
ignition switch is okay? I have a spare ignition switch, but no key for
it.

Since this is my (only) daily driver, any quick (but well thought out)
answers would be appreciated.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA