Milano Tranny question

Hello all.  I haven't had to post much since I subscribed because
everything's been going so well, but something has been nagging me...

('87 Milano 3.0) When driving in creeper stop-and-go traffic, it
impossible not to "lurch" trying to maintain a crawling speed in first
gear. It takes a REALLLY steady throttle modulation, but after a while
that's exhausting.  Aside from driving in second gear, I'd like to try
to find a solution to this and couldn't think of a better place to try.
It's got nothing to do with the motor.

My intuition (which doesn't always serve me well) is telling me perhaps
the faces of first gear are worn and the slack is creating the
"looseness" and lurching. It feels as if the car is "bouncing" back and
forth off the gear teeth.

Now, I don't know much about transmissions (but intend to learn), but is
this plausible? Should I take the tranny out and have first gear
replaced or is there another source I should consider, perhaps clutch
related?

I hope someone here knows what I'm talking about with this lurching. I
can't think of a better word for it.

Thanks!

Espen