Re: alfa-digest V9 #623

I have a road test/article from a South African auto magazine "Car" that states that the car had Dellortos. "Car" says that the Kyalami had a top speed of 224.2 km/h (approx 140 mph). You are correct, however in that the engine is NOT the 75 motor as the 75 engine has a capacity of 2959cc while the South African motor is actually a punched-out 2.5 liter with 2453 cc. The article gives the power output at 128 Kw (ISO) (whatever that means) at 5800 rpm.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0S

On Monday, July 7, 2003, at 07:44 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 19:21:46 +1200
From: "Alex Jenner" <alexj@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: Alfa V6 and carbs?

In alfa-digest V9 #622, George Graves wrote....
assembly plant in South Africa, in order to homologate a
race car
designed to compete in a S.A. racing series with BMW,
built a number
of GTV-6's using the 3-liter motor form the 75 (Milano).
Called the
GTV-6 "Kyalami" (after the famous S.A. race track), this
car again
went back to the six downdraft Dellortos.
You couldn't really call it a 3-litre motor from the 75, as
the 75 (at
least the 3-litre version) hadn't been built at that stage.
I believe
it was the first Alfa 3-litre V6.... which might be one of
the reason
they built the limited production car with carbs, when a
properly calibrated EFI wasn't yet available.

I seem to recall it ran 3 x twin choke downdraft webers, not
dellortos.

Lex Jenner
Auckland/New Zealand