non-Alfa road trip report

My family and I just got back from 1500 miles in our 1970 VW bus (a long
trip at the bus's flatland cruise speed of 55 mph), up into central Oregon,
and back down to the Bay Area through remote northeastern California, over
many hills and dales.  Didn't see any of the north- and south-bound Berlinas
shuttling to and from Seattle, and almost no other Italian cars, or any
other interesting cars for that matter, which is the norm for US road trips.
Saw a Ferrari 308 in Sunriver, OR, and then no Italian cars at all til a
front-yard monument Fiat 600 Multipla in Marysville, CA, then a Fiat 2000
Spider and yellow Alfa Spider just north of Sacramento on I-5.  That's it.
The rest of CA and OR are full of SUVs, pickups, and mini-vans.  The
expensive SUV count in rich resort places like Sunriver has to be seen to be
believed (including two Porsche Cayennes).

Our funky VW did not fit in at all in such environs, but managed the trip
just fine, including going over Mt. Lassen (8500 ft.).  Probably had all of
25 HP at that altitude.  Total problems included a slight vacuum leak at the
carb, failed brake light switch, and consumption of 1/2 quart of oil.
Nothing serious.  Glad, though, that I didn't have an oil temp. gauge going
up into the Cascade Mts. on a 100 F day on 2.75 quarts of oil ...  Amazing
how those engines hold together under such abuse.  Air cooling is
ridiculous.

Andrew Watry