In Italy, under the same circumstances, the oncoming driver will simply move to his right as far as the road will allow him to, and you do the same -getting as close to the car you are passing as is prudent (the car you are passing moves to his right as well). If you don't have enough time to pass before the oncoming car reaches you, no matter, because you and the oncoming car and the car you are passing have combined to make a temporary three-lane road out of a two lane. It works, i saw it time and time again, and after noting how it was done, did it myself (but the car I had was so fast (Alfa 147 GTA) that I was always able to make short work out of passing so I never actually had to pass three abreast on a two-lane highway).

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0S

On Friday, July 4, 2003, at 10:02 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 09:11:26 -0400
From: "Andrew Schwartz" <andrew_s_swartz@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: Alfa Museo and Driving in Italia

Having passed driving tests in both Europe and the U.S. - I have to agree
that the required driving standard in the US is woefully bad. The minimum
test length in Britain is 45 minutes, here my Mass license look me 5
minutes.

When I lived in Rome, I learnt the secret of Italian city driving - you have
to focus on the cars IN FRONT OF YOU. Everyone does this and disregards the
cars behing them - it is their responsbility to watch you. That's why what
looks like chaos can actually work. Try that in an American city and you'll
be in an accident in 10 seconds - different rules of engagement.

While their city driving is fun and skillful, and 'when in Rome do as the
Romans do', but if you are driving on the Autostrada in Italy - don't
always follow the Italian lead especially in bad visibility or fog.
Italians will continue to do 150 kph regardless of the fact they can't see
in front of their nose. I've seen some very nasty accidents that have
happened because of this. An Italian girlfriend explained it originates
from the Italian male sense of indestructiveness (witness Valentino Rossi).

I never made it to the Alfa Museo - but sounds like I'll definitely have to
plan a trip when I'm next in Milano.

Andrew Swartz
'67 Duetto
Brookline, MA