Oil consumption

Bruce,

I had similar symptoms with my "74" Spider. I checked the compression
and it was good.  Nevertheless, it would, on hard acceleration, spout some
black smoke and the oil comsupmtion was one quart every 300 miles or so.
When we pulled the engine out for an overhaul/modification, it turned out
that the rear oil seal was shot which was the reason for the oil consumption

and the black smoke was from the Dellorto floats being out of adjustment and

not shutting off properly; which also was the reason for the poor gas
consumtion.  If the smoke out the exhaust had been blue then that would have
been an indication of either worn out rings or valve guides and seals.

Dan K.

P.S. The engine was just put back into the car yesterday afternoon and
should
be ready by next week sometime as the Alfa shop is quite busy right now.
Two additional problems were discovered just before engine completion, the
trans input shaft had some excessive play and there was a very small crack
in
the exhaust manifold at the #4 piston flange.  Amazing how many problems are

discovered during an engine overhaul.