RE: Anyone fitted H.I.D. headlights to a 60s Alfa?

Hi Andrew

A much cheaper fix, recommended by Brian Shorey in Velocissima a few years
ago, is to put the headlights on a relay. Attached is a pdf file of the
details, that he sent to me. Essentially you are skipping about 10 feet of
low quality wiring and the aging headlight switch, thus a good 13-14V hits
the lights with a squared increase in light output. (Power = V^2/R)

I just did this to my 90's Spider with an appreciable improvement. I also
put daytime running lights on it at the same time and plan to put the
starter solenoid on another relay as soon as the Bosch relay arrives. It
took about 3 hours to do a vaguely professional job (IMHO) and cost about
$80, excluding the tools I had lying around. I'm fairly close to you and
have some of the black vinyl tube that covers wiring so that you don't see
the wires in the engine compartment. It also protects them from heat. Give
me a buzz off-line and I can give you some.

Good sites to check out are Waytek http://www.waytekwire.com/ , Del City
http://www.delcity.net/ , and Home Depot for oil/heat resistant wire for
under the hood. The DRL was a Hamsar 45035 http://www.hamsar.com/drl.htm .

Regards
Simon
91 Spider
Dover, MA

[demime 0.99c.7 removed an attachment of type application/pdf which had a name of may00.pdf]