Anyone fitted H.I.D. headlights to a 60s Alfa?

I am sick of the headlights on my '67 Duetto (US spec). They barely illuminate in front of me and I'm often not even sure if I've got them turned on.

I would like to improve my lighting without stressing the electrical system of the Alfa. And H.I.D. headlights came up as a thought. They are very expensive (~$500), but appear to be dramatically brighter and actually use less power (~35W).

I would like to combine this with remounting the lights from the inside and fitting the Carello covers. Has anyone installed H.I.D. lights. Any 'gotchas' I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Andrew
1967 Duetto Spider
Brookline, MA

PS: Thanks to all those who replied with suggestions for mechanics in the Boston area.