164 wont go above 1600 RPM

Original message was:-

My 164 frequently cannot be accelerated higher than 1600 RPM.  It
seems as if the engine cuts off beyond that.  It idles fine when that
happens.
Did any of you deal with this type of problem?  I have changed the fuel
filter, but it did not help.
Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Antonio
1991 164L

Sounds like the TPS switch for closed position is out of adjustment or nore
likely broken.
The switch cuts the fuel and spark when you have the throttle closed and
the engine speed is above 1600 RPM or so. This is to reduce fuel
consumption when slowing down.
The switch is mounted on the end of the throttle spindle and can be
adjusted a small amount, however if you are pressing the accelerator (and I
guess that you are) the movement should be lots more than the adjustment
could possibly cover.
This leaves a malfunction of the switch as the probable culprit.
As I don't know which way it goes i.e. closes or opens when you press the
throttle it could be either a loose wire or connection, or else a short
circuit.

ISTR you can usually hear the switch if you are in a quiet place with the
engine off, turn the throttle by hand a few degrees and you can hear the
switch click.

I have replaced the micro-switch inside one of these (identical looking
unit on a 75TS) and this was straightforward - even had a spare switch in
the junk pile.

HTH
Jonathan Coates