164 and Saab bits, pumping water

Well, Brad scooped me on this, :o)

I have tinkered with the Saab mount, and the only issues I see are perhaps
adding a stainless washer or 2 to spread the load on the connection point.
I suppose you could grind the mating surface, but i'm not sure the mismatch
is a real issue. Very similar design bolts into place, and with 9000 turbos
and their grunt, I doubt a 3.0 would unduly stress it.

For certain, the listed fix of using the rear 164 mount in this position is
simply wrong and doesn't work. Unless you enjoy heavy vibration.

I think you'll find the thread pitch is different as well, nothing Home
Depot can't fix.

Also the heater fan, yours likely says "Saab' on it right now....

A friend of mine is also tinkering with an electric water pump on his "S".
Aftermarket 164 water pumps seem to have lost the long life of the OEM,
I've seen 2, including one of my own cars, fail in under 12K miles. Not
pleasant.  At $400 per car, the electric is a challenging retrofit, but it
sure can pump some water. It will be my next install. Very clever. No
thermostat, variable pump speed controls the temp. Simple but brilliant.
Bypasses the H2O pump completely.

Bill Harkell
AlfaBill LLC
Tampa Florida USA