How to tell if idler arm bushings are shot?

I've tried tightening the screw on the top of the steering box but that
doesn't seem to help.  I did some more digging in the archives and saw
that a number of folks had very similar problems to mine and that it was
fixed by replacing the idler arm bushings.  So I'm trying to figure out
if that is the problem I'm having before spending the money on the
rebuild kit from IAP (and the time tearing it apart and getting the
replacement bushings reamed or the new shaft welded on).

I had someone jiggle the wheel while I was underneath looking at the
idler arm and saw very little motion, a few millimeters at most, which
might have been caused by the wheel getting to the end of the slop but
I'm not sure.  I jacked up the car and tried pulling the wheels back and
forth and there was no discernable rock.

So is there a way to tell if it is the idler arm bushings without taking
it off?  If I do need to take it off is it fairly simple to do?  What
other things would cause the play?

Well, just about everything.. ;-)
Seriously, tie rod ends are the most common culprits, and some of the front end bushings. Usually it's hard to tell just pulling on them, so your testing is better done with the wheels on the ground. The big bushings you have to pry on with large screwdrivers and such to try to see movement.

Put your fingers on the junction of the tie rod end (carefully!) and have someone gently move the steering wheel back and forth. Make sure you aren't going to get a pinched finger! You can feel play that you can't easily see. More than a very little bit isn't a good thing

You can observe/feel the steering box arm, and see if it seems to have play in it's motion as well as with the idler, though the idler is probably best checked by removing the two tie rod ends, and pulling on it's arm to check for play.
I didn't notice any movement till I had my front end that far apart, and now I can feel just enough play to hem and haw on whether it's something I should fix or not... :-(

Front bushings will give you clunks and so forth while driving.. I think a few can affect the steering, the long upper arm castor bushing being loose might be one.
And of course, the steering box itself can have play, depending on which type you have, they can be easy or difficult to adjust. There's been some good posts in the recent past on this.. and on a few sites I don't have handy.. hopefully someone else could chime in..

Hope it helps..

Jon
77 Spider