Re:105 brake calliper rebuild

I've never heard that splitting the calipers would ruin them. I've rebuilt
mine at least 3 times over the past 21 years that I've owned my Spider so if
that's true then I've been driving around with "ruined" calipers for about
15 years now. They sure do work good though.

It sounds like you have a special case of some extra-froze-up pistons there.
I'd try soaking them with PB Blaster (that stuff really works). The way I
always got my pistons out was with compressed air. I'd just pump it in the
inlet and let one of the pistons pop out then split the caliper and clamp
the other half in the vise with a piece of plywood and some rubber mat to
seal the crossover orifice. Then pop it out with air as well.

The little square cut o-rings that go between the halves don't come in the
kits that I've gotten so I've just reused them. Never had any leaks or other
problems associated with that but hey, maybe I'm just "lucky".

Paul Irvine - Antioch CA
Project Alfa