Steering groan and pop/crack

Hi all,

My '82 Spider (non power steering) is making a
groaning noise when I turn the wheel at low speeds.
Sounds like something needs to be oiled... but what???

Also, there is a crack/pop noise that has started
coming from the front passenger-side wheel.  It
happens right when I start moving, forward or
backward, with the wheel turned slightly.  This
started after I lifted the front of the car to have a
look-see underneath.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian