RE: Converting r12 to r134a

As far as extracting the remaining R12 goes, you may not have to. Don't quote me on this (by which I mean verify this before you try it), but I believe that it's perfectly okay to mix hydrocarbon refrigerants with R12, so if you wanted to you could just add the ES-12a to the existing R12 in your system. Of course, that would be illegal, since ES-12a is only approved for use on cars that have already been "converted" to R-134a. Haha.

-Joe

At 4:39 AM +0000 6/30/03, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 18:56:54 -0400
From: "Mike Baker" <mbbaker@domain.elided>
Subject: RE: Converting r12 to r134a

I am in the process of doing this right now with the exception of using an
R12 replacement instead of R134.  This is a hydro-carbon replacement from
this web site;  http://www.autocool-refrigerants.com/

I placed the order a couple of days ago for the 1 car recharge kit with leak
detection.  I also ordered the high and low side R134 adapters.  This is
supposed to be more efficient than R134 so I shouldn't loose any cooling at
the vents and maybe actually get better cooling.  I have friend with an AC
shop that can pull out all the old R12.

After I get everything recharged, I will write a report on my findings.
Hopefully it will only take a few days for the stuff to arrive.

Mike