'73 GTV electrics

Kind Alfisti,

Had an interesting one over the weekend.

Was attempting to get my '73 GTV started for the first time.  Everything seemed good, though the spark looked a little weak, and it would catch, but not fire.  Then I went an touched the coil, and it was so hot I nearly burnt myself.  Replaced the coil, and and it fired up first time -- starts better than my 116 regular driver.

I presume there was an internal short in the coil, turning it into a mini bar-heater.  It was seriously that hot.  Does anyone know what might have caused this?

Second question -- even after running the thing for a few minutes (still not drivable) the generator light maintained a faint glow.  Not the bright glow you get when the ignition is on but the engine not running; rather a very small glow from a residual amount of current.  Any ideas what this might be?

Aside from that, the electrics all seemed to be in good condition.  Lights, wipers, even the interior fan all worked!  I wasn't expecting this, particularly from a car that was last registered for road use in 1990.

Kind regards,
Anthony White
Wellington, NZ
'73 105 GTV