RE: Lower A arm nuts

Hmmm.. 35-39 ft-lbs sounds way low..

I agree that the second measurement is for the member that attaches to the body.. found that figure for that in at least two places.

I've seen a chart around before, but don' t remember where, on the generic torques for fastener size. It probably varies for the different grades of steel as well.. Have to look one up.

(returning from garage and caliper session)

These guys aren't regular bolts, but they're "pins" that are 17 mm in diameter, 16 across the threads with nuts that are 22 mm, so they're pretty massive stuff. Woo.. 1 mm pitch!

I'm beginning to think that spec I read out of my Autobook isn't completly out to lunch.. (it was 95, not 90, to 130 ft-lbs, BTW)

Jon
77 Spider

I just checked some of my manuals ... you are right in that the mid 80s
factory shop manual omits this spec.

I did find it in two others though, a late (series 4) factory manual says:
"Screws securing rod pins to lower wishbone arms, 35.4 thru 39.1 (ft-lbs)"

Another much older autobooks 1750/2000 manual states: "Lower wishbone shaft
to crossmember, 40.5 - 42.7 ft-lbs", but now that I'm thinking about it,
this seems to be for the bolts that hold the assembly to the body and these
numbers appear to be pretty much the same as that spec in the factory
manual.

Funny, I don't remember having any trouble finding this when actually doing
the job in the past.

You could always go with a generic spec for the size and pitch of the
fastener, I'd look that up but I don't remember what size they are ...

HTH,

Jeff

Jeff Greenfield
JG Enterprises ... specializing in the preservation, maintenance and repair
of BMW, Alfa Romeo, and Ferrari
www.samnet.net/alfaguy