Drive Shaft U joint (73 Spider)

In a message dated 6/24/2003 3:19:31 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:52:09 -0400
> From: "A. Will" <aswill3@domain.elided>
> Subject: Drive Shaft U joint (73 Spider) Follow on Question
>
> Regarding my earlier question on "U" joint replacement I have since found
> the
> International Auto Part page (www.international-auto.com/tbujoint.html)
> giving
> the instruction "When installing new universal joints, the balancing springs
> must be reinstalled in the same position with respect to the yoke". However
> when the old joints were removed there were no springs installed. So is
> better
> to leave the springs out or to put them in without the original alignment
> reference WRT the yoke? What does a balancing spring do anyhow and what
> happens if they're not installed?
>
> Here's hoping for vibration free drive shafts.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Al
> ARCO Delaware Valley
> 73 Spider
> 74 TV

       I do not remember any "balancing" springs coming with any U joints I
have purchased.  If you are really concerned, have a driveshaft shop balance
the drive shaft.
       There are some little springs inside the bearing cups of the U joints.
 Those springs are about the size of ball point pen springs.
       And there are the "springs" that retain the U joints in the drive
shaft.  Although, I do not call those springs, but circlips.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City