Swing axles again

The E Type was introduced in 1961 with irs using coil overs and a fixed length upper driveshaft. The Corvette Stingray was introduced in 1963 with irs using a transverse plastic leaf spring acting in part as upper links. Draw your own conclusions as to who copied whom, I made no remark either way. The Corvair and the Corvette used unrelated suspension systems. I believe the Corvette also used a transverse single leaf plastic spring for the front suspension starting in 1984, incorporating roll resistance. I think FIAT did something similar with its beautifully handling 128, though I don't claim they copied Corvette for that either.

Swing axles with single leaf springs secured in the center contribute nothing to anti roll beyond the single leaf spring rate. However, it is possible to design the leaf with two mounts which puts a twist in the spring in roll, contributing an anti roll spring rate not present in single pivot designs.

Alfa did not copy any of these cars as far as I know.

Cheers

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner