thermostats and FI effects

Hi Group:

A few Digest's ago, Joe Cantrell mentioned the problems associated with using a lower temp thermostat in an engine with Spica injection. I've found the same to be true with the later Bosch L-Jet engines, too. When I bought my '87 Spider last Fall, the previous owner had been running it with no thermostat. The water temp, even on a warm day would barely creep past 120F (a testament to the Alfa cooling system's safety margin). The engine would never get hot enough, causing the L-Jet to run much richer, and the performance suffered noticeably. A new 180F thermostat returned the lost performance, and gas mileage, too.

Something else to consider is that by pumping all the extra heat out of the engine, by way of the cooling system, you're pumping out horsepower, too. It makes much more sense to convert that heat to kinetic energy for moving the car. If you don't believe me, just ask Sir Isaac Newton, he'll set you straight. Play with the fuel mixture, if you must, but not by way of the thermostat.

Regards,

Dean
Lutz, FL
'74 & '87 Spider Veloce's --