Re: 164 instrument lights flashing

David,
This is usually blamed upon a bad ground or two or three causing random
voltage to be wandering to places it ought not be. Do you have any evidence or
water leakage up under the dash? From checking there I'd next get a good look at
the fuse panel and then onto the wiring harness for the strip of lights that
are flashing.
Things under the dash can get pretty scrambly if your previous own was handy
with the wire cutter and electrical tape.
Have a good time up under there.
Jim Oiler
1991 164L (running like crazy, VAAAAA Voom!)
1996 912 (drive me please)