164 instrument lights flashing

Folks,
Can anybody help with a solution to the instrument lights (oil, brakes,
indicators etc) on my 164 flashing like a Christmas tree!  Sometimes it's
all of the lights (the same effect as if you pressed the 'test' button)
other times just a few come on.  I'm told this is a common problem but
nobody seems to have a solution other than replace the complete printed
circuit board inside the dashboard.

My other solution is to only drive the car in bright sunlight so the lights
don't distract me - a bit of a problem as I live in Scotland :-)

Anybody else solved this?

Thanks,
Dave Allan