re: Jon's questions

Jon inquires:

> When I start my 86 Spider, none of the instruments on the panel work. I've
> looked at the wiring and all the fuses are good. Where else should I look?

	The usual suspects are any and all electrical grounds.  You'll need to
disconnect them, clean them, and apply some di-electric grease (to
prevent further corrosion).  In fact, look at all your electrical
connections, both hot and grounds.  Take out all your fuses, clean the
tips, clean the spring contact holders, and make sure the contact
holders really grip the fuses.

	And under the hood on the drivers side wheel well is a small, black
plastic block that hides several electrical connections.  And one of
them feeds most of the power (or is it all the power) to the fuse panel.
 Clean up all these connections as well.

> The auto windows for my 86 Spider don't work. The fuse is fine. Any ideas?

	The power window switch goes bad after awhile just from useage.   The
copper contacts can get pitted and no longer work.  Sometimes just
cleaning up the contacts will get things working or a new switch is
required - which most Alfa mailorder places have them.  I think that you
can just pull the switch out of the center console without having to
remove anything...but don't quote me on that.

> Several of the door clips on my spider are now broken. So when opening the
> door, the cover separates from the door. Should I go to a auto detailer for
> clips that will hold the paneling in place?

	There are about 3 different style clips holding your door panel to the
door.  And you'll most likely have to get them from an Alfa place rather
than any auto detailer.  If you remove the panel from the door, there is
an expendable plastic grommet that will have to be replaced at the upper
corner by the door handle.  A big pin goes thru it and it gets destroyed
when you pull the pin out.

	And buy a bunch of spare clips for most likely you'll be taking the
door panel off more than once in the future.

	Bruce

	'73 GTV
	'86 Spider